Alumni

January 30, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Park Named for Plant Biology Alum Being Relocated

A small park on the Athens Campus that was created as a tribute an Ohio University alum responsible for many landscaping efforts at the University over a more than 30-year period is being relocated.

George Carper

George Carper

The late George Carper ’48 earned a B.S. in agriculture from the College of Arts & Sciences and what is not the Department of Environmental & Plant Biology.

The park was originally conceived, designed, funded and built by those employed in the University’s Facilities Department to honor the late George Carper, an OHIO alumnus who operated a nursery in nearby Meigs County and who, as an independent contractor, was responsible for several landscaping projects on the Athens Campus.

A 1948 graduate of Ohio University and a World War II veteran, Carper and his wife, Peg, founded Carper’s Nursery in Pomeroy, Ohio, in 1951. Over the course of the next 30-plus years, Carper received numerous landscaping contracts on the Athens Campus, where he not only beautified his alma mater but also mentored many young landscapers.

Read the rest of the story in Compass.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*